Important early entomological and geological works from the library of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History.
The Museum of Natural History has held an impressive and important library collection since it opened in 1860. It was the original home of the Radcliffe Science Library, which is now located next door. It has also held the large entomological and antiquarian natural history book and manuscript collections of University benefactor Frederick William Hope since its founding.
The Museum also received a large donation of books, manuscripts and reprints from W J Arkell, which founded the Arkell Library Collections, which focus on Jurassic palaeontology and geology.
The Museum contributed to projects in the early 2000s to digitize key works of entomological and geological literature from the 17th to 19th centuries.