Greek manuscripts collected by Francesco Barocci (1537-1604).
The collection of Greek manuscripts was formed by the mathematician Francesco Barozzi (1537-1604), who lived for most of his life in Crete, and by his nephew Iacopo Barozzi of Venice (1562-1617), who inherited and added to it. The manuscripts are wide-ranging in date and subject-matter, and many retain their early Greek or Cretan bindings.
The collection was brought to England by Henry Featherstone in 1628. On 26 Jan. 1629 the manuscripts were deposited with William Laud at London House. At his instigation they were purchased by William Herbert, 3rd earl of Pembroke, Chancellor of Oxford University, and by him presented through Laud to the University in May that year.