Close XYL-32 The Sacred Heart and the wounds of Christ displayed on a Cross, with Angels (‘Arms of Jesus Christ’)

 [Sheen, England, c. 1495]. Woodcut with xylographic and typographic inscriptions in Latin.

 Schr. 1795–6. The five wounds are displayed as fragments of Christ’s body set out heraldically on a shield (and with the same xylographic inscriptions), as in XYL-33, which appears to be a slightly simplified copy of this woodcut. The shield is supported by two angels. The lance is pointed at both ends. Single-lined frame. A typographic inscription, positioned above the woodcut, reads: ‘¶ Ex domo Jhesu de Betheleem.’ A three-line xylographic inscription (not an indulgence, as implied by STC) on a scroll beneath the shield contains an injunction to prayer: ‘Of your charyte in the worshyp of | þe .v. wondes of our lord (and) þe .v. ioyes | of our lady say. P(ate)r n(oste)r (and). Aue.’ Unique copy. The typographic inscription refers to the Carthusian priory of Sheen (Richmond), known as Bethlehem, for which institution this woodcut may be presumed to have been printed. The words ‘Ex domo’, which have been interpreted as an indication that the woodcut was designed as an ex-libris, are better interpretated as an indication that it was issued as a souvenir to pilgrims or visitors to the monastery (Dodgson/Hind). STC and Hodnett attribute the printing to ‘Wynkyn de Worde (?)’.

ills. Dodgson, ‘English Devotional Woodcuts’, pl. XXXVI (c); Dodgson, English Woodcuts, fig. 18; Duffy, Altars, fig. 99; Duffy, ‘Devotion’, fig. 2; Bodleian Filmstrip Roll 245, no. 4.

refs. Dodgson, Ashmolean, 35 (Bodl.25); Dodgson, ‘English Devotional Woodcuts’, 102–3; Schreiber, Handbuch, IV 6; Hind II 738; Dodgson, English Woodcuts, 10 no. 18; STC 14077c.15; Hodnett no. 454a; Nicholson no. 88.

copy One eighth of a chancery sheet. 140 × 95 mm (woodcut 115 × 82 mm). Chain-lines vertical. No watermark. Printed in black ink in a press on one side of the paper. Uncoloured. Stitching holes are visible in the upper border. Removed in 1928 from the same printed Sarum primer as XYL-33 (Paris, 1495: H-188), where it was sewn to the recto of fol. e2, which contains the beginning of a prayer to the Virgin ‘Obsecro te domina sancta’ (Leroquais, Livres d’Heures, II 346–7). The top edge of the woodcut is gilded, providing evidence that it formed part of the host volume at the time of binding; for the seventeenth-century (?) gold-tooled, brown morocco binding, with gilt edging, see H-188. The volume appears to have contained a number of further images sewn to the upper edge of individual leaves, as is evident from stitching holes on fols A1, C4, D7, D8, a1, c5 (?), f7, i1. A list of woodcuts in Douce’s hand on the lower pastedown includes this item, but otherwise refers only to woodcut illustrations that form an integral part of the printed volume.

Binding: Mounted between glass and kept in the same dark blue case as XYL-31.

Provenance: Francis Douce (1757–1834). Bequeathed in 1834. For details of Alexander Frogenhall (fl. 1505), William (†1509) and Anne Reede, Thomas Reede, the Withypoll family (sixteenth century), Ralph Sheldon (1623–1681), and J. Newman (born 1757), who are attested by marginalia and other inscriptions as owners of the host volume, see H-188 and Coates–Jensen 252–3, no. 18.

shelfmark: Arch. G f.14.